In this hands-on course, hosted by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) in partnership with NVIDIA and OpenACC, you will learn the basics of GPU computing and AI concepts, particularly as it relates to applying Deep Learning (DL) for scientific problems.
DL terminology and concepts will be instructed, and participants will start by creating their first “Hello World’ DL network. Concepts of AI for Science will be discussed to draw a distinction between how scientific AI deployments differ from traditional AI. We’ll then explore Convolutional Neural Networks and apply them to a Tropical Cyclone Detection case where you will learn the impact of modifying hyperparameters, network layers, and data augmentation to improve your model. Finally, we’ll explore how more complicated networks (U-Nets) work and you’ll gain experience applying them to a steady flow example problem.
This one day Bootcamp will be hosted online in the Eastern Time (ET) zone on December 10th. All communication will be done through Zoom, Slack and email. This event has limited capacity, therefore, attendees from NOAA will be prioritized during the registration process.
Basic experience with Python. No GPU programming or AI knowledge is required. This event has limited capacity, please make sure that prerequisites are met before applying.
GPU Compute Resources
Teams attending the event will be given access to a GPU cluster for the duration of this event.
December 10, 2021 from 10AM to 6PM ET
- 10:00 AM – 10:30 AM: Welcome + Connect to the NVIDIA Cluster
- 10:30 AM – 11:00 AM: Introduction to GPU Computing
- 11:00 AM – 11:45 AM: Introduction to AI
- 11:45 AM – 12:00 PM: Break
- 12:00 PM – 01:00 PM: CNN Primer and Keras 101
- 01:00 PM – 01:30 PM: Lunch
- 01:30 PM – 03:00 PM: AI for Tropical Cyclone Detection (Lab)
- 03:00 PM – 03:15 PM: Break
- 03:15 PM – 05:00 PM: AI for Steady Flow Estimation (Lab)
- 05:00 PM – 05:30 PM: Review Concepts
- 05:30 PM – 06:00 PM: Open Q&A (Optional)
Important Event Dates
NOAA AI For Science Bootcamp Application Deadline
NOAA AI For Science Bootcamp Day