GPU Hackathons provide exciting opportunities for scientists to accelerate their AI research or HPC codes under the guidance of expert mentors from National Labs, Universities and Industry leaders in a collaborative environment. Teams of researchers are paired with experienced GPU mentors to learn and apply the accelerated and parallel computing skills needed by the scientific community. Both current or prospective users of large hybrid CPU/GPU HPC clusters who develop HPC and AI applications that could benefit from GPU acceleration are encouraged to participate!
The UK National GPU Hackathon partnered with UKRI, NVIDIA, and OpenACC.org will be designed for teams to work in productive sprint sessions with expert mentors for the duration of the event. A wide variety of different projects are possible, for example:
• Accelerating applications written in common languages - C/C++, Fortran, Python
• Using OpenACC to gradually offload work to GPUs and incrementally improving the performance
• Identifying expensive kernels and porting them to CUDA
• Profiling already GPU accelerated applications to find hotspots for further acceleration
The UK National GPU Hackathon will be hosted online in the Greenwich Mean Time (GMT) zone. All communication will be done through Zoom, Slack and email.
- Teams are expected to be fluent with the code or project they bring to the event and motivated to make progress during the hackathon.
- No advanced GPU skills required, but teams are expected to know the basics of GPU programming and profiling at the event. A collection of GPU lectures, tutorials, and labs are available for all participants at no fee. Please contact organizers for more information to help you prepare for the hackathon.
GPU Compute Resource
Teams attending the event will be given access to a GPU cluster for the duration of the hackathon. If you already have access to any of the Tier 2 HPC facilities in the UK, you are welcome to use those as well.
Attending the Hackathon
If your team is accepted for the hackathon, registration information will be provided along with mentor introductions and computational resource access. Accepted teams should:
- Register all team members for the event.
- Review the attendee guide.
Important Event Dates
UK National GPU Hackathon 2022 Application Deadline
UK National GPU Hackathon 2022 Day 1
UK National GPU Hackathon 2022 Day 2
UK National GPU Hackathon 2022 Day 3
UK National GPU Hackathon 2022 Day 4