Together with NVIDIA and OpenACC.org, NOAA will host a virtual GPU Hackathon starting February 22 and concluding March 2, 2022. GPU Hackathons provide exciting opportunities for scientists to accelerate their AI research or HPC codes under the guidance of expert mentors from National Labs, Universities and Industry leaders in a collaborative environment. The NOAA Hackathon is a multi-day event designed to help teams of three to six developers accelerate their own codes on GPUs using a programming model, or machine learning framework of their choice. Each team is assigned mentors for the duration of the event.
This Hackathon is open to everyone looking to take their code to the next level; however, priority acceptance will be given to NOAA affiliated scientists and their collaborators. Since space is limited, additional hackathons will be scheduled if there is high interest.
NOAA Hackathon will be hosted online with all times Eastern Time (ET). Each team will be assigned to a virtual breakout room to work with mentors on their codes and will present reports (SCRUMS) on their progress to all participants in the main virtual meeting space daily.
- Teams are expected to be fluent with the code or project they bring to the event and motivated to make progress during the hackathon.
- At least 3 team members must be participating throughout the entire event.
- Projects brought to the event are required to have a license attached and detailed in the application. For more information on why licenses are important and how to obtain one, please use the following links:
- No advanced GPU skills are required, but teams are expected to know the basics of GPU programming and profiling. A collection of GPU lectures, tutorials, and labs are available for all participants at no fee. Please contact organizers for more information to help you prepare for the hackathon.
GPU Compute Resource
Teams attending the event will be given access to a GPU cluster for the duration of the hackathon.
Attending the Hackathon
If your team is accepted for the hackathon, registration information will be provided along with mentor introductions and computational resource access. Accepted teams should:
- Register all team members for the event.
- Review the attendee guide.
Important Event Dates
NOAA GPU Hackathon 2022 Application Deadline
NOAA GPU Hackathon 2022 Day 1
NOAA GPU Hackathon 2022 Day 2
NOAA GPU Hackathon 2022 Day 3
NOAA GPU Hackathon 2022 Day 4