GPU Bootcamp is an exciting and unique way for scientists and researchers to learn the skills needed to start quickly accelerating codes on GPUs. Held as a virtual event across two days in November, participants will learn the basics of GPU computing and AI concepts, particularly as it relates to applying Deep Learning (DL) for scientific problems.
DL terminology and concepts will be instructed, and participants will start by creating their first “Hello World’ DL network. Concepts of AI for Science will be discussed to draw a distinction between how scientific AI deployments differ from traditional AI. We’ll then explore Convolutional Neural Networks and apply them to a Tropical Cyclone Detection case where you will learn the impact of modifying hyperparameters, network layers, and data augmentation to improve your model. Finally, we’ll demonstrate how more complicated networks (U-Nets) work and you’ll gain experience applying them to a steady flow example problem..
Presented by NCI Australia, this Bootcamp will be hosted online in the Australian Eastern Daylight Time (AEDT) zone, and is open to current and prospective NCI users only.
This two-day Bootcamp will be hosted online in the Australian Eastern Daylight Time (AEDT) zone. All communication will be done through Zoom, Slack, and email.
- Basic experience with Python. No GPU programming or AI knowledge is required.
- This event has limited capacity, and is open to NCI users only
Attendees will be given access to Gadi GPU cluster for the duration of the Bootcamp. A cluster onboarding session will be hosted on November 26th, 2021.
Day 1 November 29, 2021: 1:00pm - 4:00pm AEDT
- 1:00 PM - 1:15 PM: Welcome (Moderator)
- 1:15 PM - 1:30 PM: Connecting to a Cluster
- 1:30 PM - 2:00 PM: Introduction to GPU Computing (Lecture)
- 2:00 PM - 2:30 PM: Introduction to AI (Lecture)
- 2:30 PM - 2:45 PM: Break
- 2:45 PM - 3:45 PM: CNN Primer and Keras 101 (Lecture + Lab)
- 3:45 PM - 4:00 PM: Q&A
Day 2 November 30, 2021: 1:00pm - 4:00pm AEDT
- 1:00 PM - 2:30 PM: AI for Tropical Cyclone Detection (Lecture and Lab)
- 2:30 PM - 3:30 PM: Mini Application Challenge ( Lab)
- 3:30 PM - 4:00 PM: Introduction to Physics Informed Neural Network ( Lecture)
Important Event Dates
NCI Australia AI for Science GPU Bootcamp Application Deadline
NCI Australia AI for Science GPU Bootcamp Day 1
NCI Australia AI for Science GPU Bootcamp Day 2